Learn Songs (Not Scales) For Bass Guitar - The Ultimate Song Resource for Beginner and Intermediate Bass Players
'Learn Songs Not Scales' is my motto - and I also believe that it's the best way for someone to learn the bass, or improve on the bass - I've even written a book that explains why this works and how to do it!
Because of this belief, I've turned my membership site First Bass And Beyond into one of the best resources on the web for song tutorials for beginner and intermediate bass players.
How First Bass And Beyond Works
- First Bass And Beyond is based on a 'magazine' model - every Friday at 5PM GMT a new issue goes live
- Each issue contains two song tutorials in notation and tab along with a video so that you can see and hear how each part of the tutorial should sound. (Often a bass less backing track and/or MP3 files generated in Band In A Box are available for practice.)
- There is also a main transcripton in First Bass And Beyond - this is available in notation and tab (but no video)
- Additional columns in the magazine include Deconstructing Tommy Shannon and Bass Theory 101 (see below)
That's 100 Song Tutorials Delivered Weekly Over The Next Year...
- In addition to the 100 song tutorials that will be published in the magazine over the next year, you also get access to the 'archive' of the free How To Play Ezine. Currently there are 34 song tutorials in there.
- You also get access to the Bass Beginners Course - there are 38 song tutorials here (25 in the course and 13 bonus tutorials).
- There's also 50 songs in the Quickguide' section. The video parts of these tutorials are found on YouTube - but in the members area you get the complete tutorial with notation/tab in PDF and bass less backing tracks.
By the end of a year's subscription that adds up to over 200 Song Tutorials!
So What Exactly Is In First Bass And Beyond?
First Bass And Beyond combines a weekly PDF 'magazine' plus video tutorials and web page tutorials. In the magazine you'll get:
- Two complete song tutorials in notation and tab. The song tutorials also have downloadable video lessons. And often (but not always) there are either bass less backing tracks to play along with or specific song section backing tracks (e.g. chorus, verse, bridge) for you to learn the song sections in isolation.
- A complete transcription of a bass line. This is usually intermediate to advanced level and is presented in notation, and then in notation with tab. There are no video lessons to go with the main transcription.
- Theory 101 Tutorial Column. This is an ongoing column looking at music theory for bass players. What is unique about this series is that this theory column is presented from the viewpoint of the bass guitarists and the majority of examples are taken from real world bass lines
- Deconstructing Tommy Shannon. This column deconstructs the bass lines of Tommy Shannon (as played with Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble) to find out what kind of rhythms he uses along with how he puts his lines together (notes, devices, approaches etc)
- Ask Paul. This column is currently been running for over 35 issues. You ask questions about bass...I answer them. Sounds simple, but there's been some great questions recently!
There's still more though.
Premium Subscribers Will Also Get This...
- 30 Lesson Bass For Beginners Course. This is a course I created covering basic left and right hand exercises, learning the notes of the fretboard, basic rhythm training, a bunch of articles on good practice habits and of course a bunch of song tutorials. The Bass for Beginners Course contains downloadable PDFs plus is in a 'web page plus embedded video format' as well. It sells separately on the HTPB website for $127.
- Access to the 'Quickguide Section. This is a section that contains more song tutorials - you may have seen the tutorials on YouTube but this section contains the full tutorial with notation/tab in PDFs and bass less backing tracks of the songs where I use them.
- Access to the 'free monthly ezine' archive. So there are currently around 35 song tutorials from the free monthly ezine....the only place they can be found in one location is in the Archive section of the membership site of First Bass And Beyond.(Value - $47)
- Access to the web based version of the Theory Column. Every musical example in the column is played on video so you can see and hear the theory examples to give you a complete picture and complete understanding of the theory topic being taught. Currently we're nearly up to lesson 30 in this series and topics covered so far include basic intervals, major and minor triads, time signatures and we're just working through the modes of the major scale and chord/scale theory.
- 10 Complimentary Back Issues (value $50). Your subscription is for the next 50 issues of First Bass And Beyond. We're currently at Issue 268! - so there's a lot of material in the archives. You can purchase back issues for either $4.00 or $6.00 each....but you get 10 issues of your choice as a bonus/thank you for joining! (THIS BONUS FOR ANNUAL SUBSCRIBERS ONLY.)
SO HOW MUCH DOES THE ANNUAL SUBSCRIPTION TO FIRST BASS AND BEYOND COST?
|50 Magazines delivered weekly in PDF format
Each magazine contains two complete song tutorials - that's notation and tab in the magazine, plus a downloadable video lesson and often (but not always) backing tracks to practice/play along with
|Each magazine contains a 'main transcription' - this is a complete transcription in notation, and notation with tab|
Weekly tutorial columns - currently Bass Theory 101 and Creating Bass Lines From Chord Symbols
PREMIUM VERSION ONLY!
|50 Complete Quickguide Tutorials over the course of the next year each tutorial has streaming video, notation and tab plus bass less backing track - ($77)|
|Access to the 'free monthly' ezine Archive (value $47)|
|30 Lesson Bass For Beginners Course (value $127)|
|Learn Songs Not Scales eBook (value ($15)|
|10 Complimentary Back Issues (Value $50.00) - FOR ANNUAL SUBSCRIBERS ONLY|
|Bass Theory 101 (value $30)|
|Annual Subscription Price||
|Note: All prices are in US dollars|
$67 per quarter
1. Access to the songs in the Quickguide Tutorials section isn't immediate. A new song is posted in the membership area every week.
2. The complete Bass For Beginners Course and free monthly ezine archive is available the moment I add you to the website.
FOR THE ANNUAL SUBSCRIPTION, CLICK THIS BUTTON!
FOR THE QUARTERLY SUBSCRIPTION, CLICK THIS BUTTON
FOR THE STANDARD SUBSCRIPTION, CLICK THIS BUTTON:
PLEASE NOTE THAT THESE SUBSCRIPTIONS RENEW AUTOMATICALLY
So Who Should Join First Bass And Beyond?
If you're a beginner or intermediate player, First Bass And Beyond is for you. If the 'only' benefit you got from First Bass And Beyond was to thoroughly cover the basics of the bass guitar with the 30 lesson Bass For Beginners course and then build on your technique by learning a bunch of the many song tutorials included...well,that's plenty of bang for your buck.
Think what 30 pluslessons with a private instructor would cost....plus the travel time/opportunity cost of getting to the instructor. And you can take MY lessons to suit your schedule. Whenever you're ready for a lesson, simply head over to the First Bass And Beyond website and log on!
But you'll find value in some of the other content too. The weekly cost of the subscription works out to around $3.00 - if you were having regular lessons you'd probably spend more than that on gas or transport costs.
(A Note For More Advanced Players)
First Bass And Beyond is aimed squarely at beginners and low level intermediates. But that doesn't mean there's no value in it for players with higher abilities. I have a couple of subscribers who've been to Berklee and use First Bass And Beyond for the main transcriptions and some of the columns. But I have to be honest...if you're at this level you should probably email me before subscribing!